Friday, December 28, 2012

WHILE I STILL CAN....


My loving Aunt as I remembered her before
I have an Aunt who was always kind and loving. She would always welcome us in their home and cook immediately for us to eat. She wouldn't allow us to leave their house without making sure our tummies were full. She was the wife of my Papa's brother and she became my Mama's best friend, too.

She always had so many stories to tell with her loud voice. She was also fond of making different kinds and sizes of beautiful flowers out of crepe papers and straws, very artistic indeed. She was very good at this. It always made her happy to give us a little something. She was very friendly and likable that whenever it was the feast day of Sto. Nino in their place, their house was always full of friends and relatives.

Last Thursday morning, my two sisters, my niece and I visited their house to see her and bring our Christmas gifts for them. I noticed something different with my Aunt. Her face was more wrinkled than months ago when I last saw her. Her hairs were whiter. She looked thinner. She was weaker than before. She could not cook anymore. She was noticeably quiet and answered our questions briefly with a soft voice. She answered us like a shy little girl. She said with sadness that she couldn't make the crepe paper flowers for us anymore. Her memory was not good anymore. She even had a hard time recognizing us, at times even exchanging our names.

As I sat in front of her, I took a close look at her. I remembered how she was before and it pinched my heart a bit to see her like that. I couldn't see the light I saw before in her eyes, no laughter just smiles from time to time. She was not really herself anymore.

Oh, how time flew and yes she is older now, in her 70's in fact. And then I thought, "Someday....one day, I will be like her. I will get old. I will be weaker and I can only do less. But before that happens, Lord, use me while I still have my strength. Change me and make me more loving to You, to my family and to others while I still have a chance. With the time I still have, may I give glory to Your name and by Your grace, build a home for You in the hearts of people and bring You home to them....while I still can..."

In a few days, we will be welcoming another new year in our lives. May we put more meaning, more love, more joy, more peace and more God in each of the 365 days we will have.

As the clock turns to midnight on December 31 to welcome the 1st day of 2013, may the desire in our hearts to have God's Presence in our lives be inflamed enough that we can not deny it so we can strive to have more of Him in the whole year coming our way...and in the next years beyond it, if God will allow us still to breathe His breath...Let's live a fruitful life worthy of God.

May the peace and joy of Jesus be in your homes. A wonderful New Year for you and your families! God bless your homes! 

-luisadelacruz
 

No comments:

Post a Comment