Thursday, March 4, 2010

GOD IS GOOD…ALL THE TIME




When I was two years old, I got sick of polio. As a result, my right foot shrank (Oh no!). From grade 1 to grade 6, I had a brace from the heel of my right foot all through my limb. I had difficulty walking especially climbing the stairs. Boy, it was an ordeal, not to mention the wounds caused by the straps and steel that constantly rubbed my skin (ooouuuccchhh). And when a screw got lost, or a metal snapped (pak), my, I couldn’t take even just a single step (sigh).

When I was in high school and college, hey, I was promoted. I got rid of the braces and what had I got, a cane, which my dear father crafted for me. What a relief, except for those slippery floors especially when the rain seemed to enjoy getting them wet (ooopppsss, ouch again).

When I took up my second course in college (yes, I seemed to love the painstaking ordeal of getting diplomas), I had another promotion. Still a cane but this time, it had four tiny feet-like supports at the bottom for stability. My dear Mama saved money just to buy me one.

The whole of my life, I had limitations in all of my actions because of my handicap. I can not do everything I want to do especially as far as physical effort is concerned. There are many precautions I have to take. It is hard.

My life is a dramatic one (Hu, hu, hu!). I know there are many whose lives were more dramatic than mine (in fact, theirs are box office hits), but it is still a very hard and very painful one, especially to a handicapped person like me. Each step I have to take, each dream I want to achieve, all these I can with extra effort. All through these hardships, all through these pains, can I still say God is good? . . . . YES, YES AND YES, WITHOUT A DOUBT, God is so very good, all the time. With all the downfalls in my life, He and only He is the One I can rely on. He alone is the best of all the best friends I have. I can’t imagine going through my life without Jesus.

The Lord entrusted me to a very wonderful family. My parents and sisters gave me so much love and support. The brother I never had, I had Him in Jesus. My dear Mama instilled in my heart and mind the love for Him (she even carved it there). In spite of my handicap, they showed me that I can be what I want to be, that I can achieve what I put my heart into, that I am also human, and even better than the others.

Our physical feature is not as important as the kind of person we are inside us. You see my handicap is a blessing somehow (hey, I am not insane for believing this). If I am not handicapped, I may not be as humble as I am now (naks!). I may not be as sensitive to the people around me. I may not have received extra love and extra care the whole of my life from my family (just like a teddy bear). But, most important of all, I may not have considered Jesus my very best Friend.

I strongly believe that everything that happens in our lives has a purpose. We may realize it at once or we may see it much later, but all of it is for the better. But no matter how happy, sad, painful or hilarious those situations are the Lord is so good to stand by our side all the time. He will laugh with us (Ha! Ha! Ha!), cry with us (Hu! Hu! Hu!), or just be quiet ( ) and listen. It depends upon the kind of Friend we need at the moment. God is good, all the time.

If only you will open your eyes you will see. Whatever handicap you may have, whether physical, emotional, spiritual . . . someday it will be a blessing to you and others. You'll never know. In your weakness, God will be your strength! Focus on the good things, my friend! Look at your life. Look at the people who loves you. Look at the lessons you learn through your experiences. Look at the blessings you receive day by day. If you will only open your eyes and look . . . . really look, you can also believe and say . . . . GOD IS GOOD . . . . ALL THE TIME!

-luisadelacruz

1 comment:

  1. it was already dark when we went through a wooded area last Sunday (Oct. 24) so we can get to her house. the terrain had lil valleys before you reach a plain. Rain just poured and it was quite slippery. out of the blue, i remembered you. i was wonderin if you were able to go climbing,cycling etc. yet you are so bubbly,so excited about life. in silence, you had a surprising way of inspiring me. out of that darkness, my friend's uncle suddenly appeared on the other other side bringing with him a huge flashlight. He guided us to safety with that light without being distracted of the cliff between us.

    In life, we may have everything but without God's guiding light , still we will not be able to reach our destiny of fullness in life .it doesnt matter if we are limited, what matters is we let God do the unlimited.

    ReplyDelete