Monday, April 19, 2010

A BRIEF ENCOUNTER

One day, I had a meeting. I took my bath. The water was a bit cold but refreshing to my skin. I hurried up, I didn’t want to be late. As soon as I was finished, I went out of our house and waited for a jeep.

The ride I got had no passengers yet. On its next stop, a lady rode and sat opposite me. Then two poor kids started shouting the destination of the jeep. One was smaller than the other, they maybe around 9 and 11 years old. They seem to be brothers. They have similarities.

They were wearing dirty clothes. The shade of their skins was dark from constant exposure from the sun everyday. The slippers of the older one were old and much bigger than his feet.

When we started to move, they both got inside the jeep and sat beside me. Oh! Really sat beside me, arm to arm, the older boy beside me . . . our skin touching. I twitch a bit, I stiffened, held my breath, they smell like they spent the whole afternoon under the sun.

I thought, “Oh no! Kakaligo ko lang (I just took my bath), I feel so fresh!”

But you know what? God instantly corrected me. God humbled me. As I remembered that He loves them, that the poor is close to His heart especially the children, I felt ashamed.

Slowly, I relaxed. I didn’t try to twitch any part of my body anymore. I began to experience compassion as I look at the two kids conversing, smiling and joking. I didn’t mind anymore their smell. I allowed my skin to touch the skin of the kid. I allowed my clothes to touch his clothes.

In a short while, the jeep stopped and they egress . . . they were gone . . .

Such a brief encounter, they didn’t even notice me. They had a world of their own . . . But you know what, in that very brief moment God used them to touch my heart. He reminded me of the continuous transformation He is doing to me so I can slowly learn to feel what He feels for them . . . to see what He sees in them . . . to love them as He does . . .

They are total strangers to me, but in them flows the breath of God, the same breath that gives life to me. They are dearly loved by the same God who loves me with the same love . . . They are my little brothers . . . Whew! I was real close that time to snobbing God. I sure pray, I will always be open to be changed by Him each day.

MARK 12:28-30 A teacher of the Law was there . . . he came to Him (Jesus) with a question: “Which commandment is the most important of all?” Jesus replied, “The most important one is this: ‘Listen, Israel! The Lord our God is the only Lord. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.

. . . but He didn’t just stop there . . . He continued . . .

MARK 12:31 The second most important commandment is this: ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself.’ There is no other commandment more important than these two.”

-luisadelacruz

No comments:

Post a Comment