Monday, July 30, 2012

WE HAVE ENOUGH...



July 15, in our formation, our monk spiritual director was asked, “What do you pray for yourself?”

He answered, “Honestly, I don’t pray for myself anymore, I pray for the needs of others…” 

That moment, I saw in him that he is contented with what he has. Wow, could that be possible? Can one not want anything for himself?

In this modern world, that seems to be impossible. We are so exposed in the latest gadgets, newest models of cellphones, ipods, beautiful cars, houses, etc. We aspire for careers that can bring more money in our bank account or luxurious vacations here and abroad. We seem to be always on the go wanting to achieve one thing after another, dreams after dreams that become bigger each time....

Wanting nothing for oneself...could this really be possible or our spiritual director is just kidding us and maybe he is living in a dreamworld? But....if it is so, I would like to know how....

That question and his answer in our formation left a mark in my mind and from time to time, it surfaces and my wonder comes back. 

Yesterday, an inspiration came to me: 
“If I become contented with what I have,
then I will stop whining and stop wanting so many things.
I will begin to be grateful to God for all that I have.
All that will come to me,
I shall appreciate and see as bonus gifts from God,
His extra blessings.”

As I try to take a look at what I have, I discovered: "Hmmm, yes, it seems there are so many things I should be thankful for...I just don't notice them."

I have food for my every meal, even for my snacks....
I have a roof over my head, even my own room...
I have my own computer to do my blogs, talks, research, studying, check FB, etc...
I have my cellphone to communicate and text inspirational messages...
I have my family who loves me and will always be there to support me....
I have my friends who cares for me, too and are willing to listen and do things with me...
I have my Church who never tires to reach out to me and teach me about God...
I have God who never abandons me, even if I'm unfaithful to Him from time to time, still He loves me...and there are much more...

What I need, especially the most valuable things in life are already with me. All those I desire to have, mostly are just wants, not needs...I can even do without them....

In Matthew 6:25-34 ( http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew%206:25-34&version=NASB ) Jesus said God provides all we need, we just have to seek heavenly treasures rather than worldly gains.

We are already blessed with what we truly need, we just don't see them because our eyes are upon the things we do not have, and what we don't have is what we want, though we don't need them really.

We seek happiness from them, that we forget to be contented and grateful with what we have, but if we will just take some time to survey our physical, mental, emotional, spiritual possessions....we will find out that what we truly need are already there. Whatever will come to us are just additional, bonuses from God...If we will just learn to be contented, then we will have a grateful heart and see everything else as gifts and surprises.
 
Simplicity is one key to a happy living...we just want too much, too many...but really, we already possess what we truly need to be happy, we just have to stop, dig in deeper, and take a look.

Have a Grateful and Contented Soul!
-luisadelacruz

No comments:

Post a Comment